26 January 2006

Monday Morning in Alaska


Sometimes I forget why I like to live here. For example, this morning I awoke to a world where the temperature outside was -20F, and the temperature of the floor in the bedroom was 40F. I think I could actually leave the contents of my refrigerator on the floor and it would not spoil. My oil stove is running non-stop and my water keeps freezing up. As a matter of fact, my new cabin is not the paradise I had hoped it would be. Not only have I lived with total colliform bacteria in my water since I moved in, the foundation continues to settle, I can’t keep the place heated, and now I am going days on end without bathing. This weekend the wall in the bathroom shifted, thus creating a gap in the wall where the boards pulled apart and it actually busted the nails when it gave. I don’t even want to get started on the floors and how those boards are pulling apart. Yesterday when Phillip crawled under the house to fix our frozen water, the heat tape that was supposedly placed there on a thermostat was discovered to be invisible. Or, more likely, nonexistent. So it may be time to actively look for a new place to live. On a positive note, at least the cold weather provides clear, sunny days.

As some of our readers may know, our friend Wildfire is pregnant and ready to pop. It is my hope that she will send me an updated picture of her beautiful self and her giant belly so that I may post it online for everyone to enjoy. (hint, hint) Anyhoo, I finally finished the blanket for the baby. I will attempt to get a picture to post before I mail it to her.

No comments: